This town was established in 1794 as the county seat of Lee County and was named for Frederick Jones. Here on January 3, 1864, General William E. Jones, assisted by Colonel A. L. Pridemore, defeated a Union force, capturing the battalion. Union troops burned the courthouse in 1864. The present courthouse was erected in 1933. The town was incorporated in 1834, and reincorporated in 1901.
Geographic Location: Lee County
Physical Description of Location: Jonesville, VA 24263. Located on Main Street (Hwy 58), 0.75 miles west of the junction of Main Street (Hwy 58) and US-58 Alt. Marker is on the right when traveling west on Main Street (Hwy 58).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth