The name Jefferson School has a long association with African American education in Charlottesville. It was first used in the 1860s in a Freedmen's Bureau school and then for a public grade school by 1894. Jefferson High School opened here in 1926 as the city's first high school for blacks, an early accredited black high school in Virginia. The facility became Jefferson Elementary School in 1951. In 1958, some current and former Jefferson students requested transfers to two white schools. The state closed the two white schools. Their reopening in 1959 began the process of desegregation in Charlottesville. Jefferson School housed many different educational programs after integrating in 1965.
Year On Marker: 2003
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Geographic Location: Charlottesville
Physical Description of Location: Charlottesville, VA 22902. Located on 4th Street West, less than 1/5 of a mile north of the intersection of 4th Street West and West Main Street. Marker is on the left when traveling north on 4th Street West.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth