Following the First Battle of Manassas on 21 July 1861, Col. James Ewell Brown Stuart, commander of the 1st Virginia Cavalry, moved his troopers to Fairfax Court House and then here to Munson's Hill, the Confederate position closest to the city of Washington. From his camp Stuart watched Union observers ascend in balloons to study him. Stuart built "Quaker cannons" of logs and marched his men before large campfires to confound the Federals. On 24 September, while still encamped here, he was promoted to the rank of brigadier general.
Geographic Location: Fairfax County
Physical Description of Location: Lorton, VA 22079. Located on Gunston Road (Rt. 242), less than 1/5 of a mile north of the intersection of Gunston Road (Rt. 242) and Old Colchester Road. Marker is on the right when traveling north on Gunston Road (Rt. 242).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth