Five miles east, formerly known as Woods' Gap. Michael Woods, his three sons and three Wallace sons-in-law (Andrew, Peter, William), coming from Pennsylvania via Shenandoah Valley, crossed through this pass into Albemarle County in 1734--pioneers in settling this section. In 1780-81 British prisoners taken at Saratoga went through the gap en route to Winchester. In June 1862 part of Jackson's army, moving to join Lee at Richmond, used this passage.
Geographic Location: Augusta County
Physical Description of Location: 340 East Side Hwy Waynesboro, VA 22980. Located on East Side Hwy (Hwy. 340), 0.5 miles north of the intersection of East Side Hwy (Hwy. 340) and State Route 621. Marker is on the left when traveling north on East Side Hwy (Hwy. 340).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth