The ancient road that linked Jamestown, the original colonial capital, with Middle Plantation (later Williamsburg) followed a meandering course. It departed from Jamestown Island and then turned northeast, crossing Powhatan and Mill Creeks. As it approached Middle Plantation, it traversed a branch of College Creek that by the mid-17th century was dammed to form Rich Neck plantation's millpond, today's Lake Matoaka. Improvements to Jamestown Road, completed in time for the Jamestown Ter-Centennial Exposition, constituted the first project completed with the assistance of the State Highway Commission, formed in 1906.
Geographic Location: James City County
Physical Description of Location: Williamsburg, VA 23185. Located on Jamestown Road (Rt. 31), less than 1/5 of a mile southwest of the junction of Jamestown Road (Rt. 31) and State Route 614. Marker is on the left when traveling southwest on Jamestown Road (Rt. 31).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth