Nearby to the east is Jamestown, the original site of the first permanent English colony in North America. On 14 May 1607, a group of just over 100 men and boys recruited by the Virginia Company of London came ashore and estblished a settlement at Jamestown Island. They constructed a palisaded fort there within the territory of the Paspahegh Indians, who with other Virginia Indians had frequent contact with the English. In 1619 the first English representative legislative body in North America met there, and the first documented Africans arrived. Jamestown served as the capital of the Virginia colony from 1607 to 1699. Historic Jamestowne preserves this original site and the archaeological remains.
Geographic Location: James City County
Physical Description of Location: Williamsburg, VA 23185. Located on Jamestown Road (Rt. 31), less than 1/5 of a mile southwest of the junction of Jamestown Road (Rt. 31) and State Route 614. Marker is on the left when traveling southwest on Jamestown Road (Rt. 31).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth