containertop

James Robinson House Marker, G-16

To the south stood the farmhouse of James Robinson, a former slave freed by Landon Carter. There, during the First Battle of Manassas on 21 July 1861, Col. Wade Hampton's Legion covered the Confederates falling back to Henry Hill, where Jackson stood "like a stone wall." The house survived that battle, and during the Second Battle of Manassas in August 1862 served the Union troops as a field hospital. Congress later authorized compensation to Robinson for property damages. The present house stands partially on the foundation of the original.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1991
Region: Northern Virginia Region
Geographic Location: Prince William County
Physical Description of Location: Located in pull-off on Lee Highway (US 29) northbound, about .2 miles north of intersection with Sudley Road (Virginia 234), Manassas, VA 20109. Marker is located in Manassas National Battlefield Park.
GPS Location: 38.819591,-77.521888
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom