containertop

James Monroe’s First Farm–Site of University of Virginia Marker, G-23

In 1788 James Monroe purchased an 800-acre farm here to be close to his friend Thomas Jefferson and to establish a law office. In 1799 the Monroes moved to their new Highland plantation adjacent to Monticello and sold the first farm. In 1817 the Board of Visitors of Central College purchased 43 3/4 acres of Monroe's old farm, for the Lawn and the Ranges of the "academical village" that Jefferson was planning to build with private contributions. On 6 Oct. President Monroe, with former presidents Jefferson and Madison, laid the cornerstone for its first building, Pavilion VII. On 25 Jan. 1819, Central College was chartered by the General Assembly as the University of Virginia.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 2000
Region: Blue Ridge and Central Piedmont Region
Geographic Location: Charlottesville
Physical Description of Location: Charlottesville, VA 22902. Located on McCormick Road, 0.2 miles south of the intersection of McCormick Road and University Avenue (Hwy 250). Marker is on the left when traveling south on McCormick Road.
GPS Location: 38.036085,-78.504683
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom