This Greek Revival-style house was built about 1852 for state senator Thomas N. Welch. In 1868 James Lawson Kemper (1823-1895) purchased it from his mother-in-law, Mrs. Belfield Cave. Kemper, an attorney, represented Madison County in the House of Delegates (1853-1863), served as speaker (1861-1863), led a brigade in the Civil War, was wounded in Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg, and served as governor of Virginia (1874-1878). In 1882 he moved from Madison to Walnut Hills in Orange County.
Geographic Location: Madison County
Physical Description of Location: Madison, VA 22727. Located on North Main Street (Hwy 29), 0.2 miles southwest of the junction of North Main Street (Hwy 29) and North Blue Ridge Turnpike (Rt. 231). Marker is on the left when traveling southwest on North Main Street (Hwy 29).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth