containertop

James Edwards Hangar Marker, W-156

Born near Churchville on 25 Feb. 1843, Hanger joined the Churchville Cavalry at Phillipi, W.Va., on 2 June 1861, where the next morning he was wounded. The resulting amputation of his leg was probably the first of the Civil War. He convalesced at his parents' house, which stood nearby. Within three months he had invented the first artificial limb modeled on the human leg and hinged at the knee. Hanger constructed factories in Staunton and Richmond, and after WWI he built others in France and England. On 15 June 1919 he died and was buried in Washington, D.C., his home since 1906.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1996
Region: Shenandoah Valley Region
Geographic Location: Augusta County
Physical Description of Location: Churchville, VA 24421. Located on Churchville Road (Route 42), less than 1/5 of a mile west of the intersection of Churchville Road (Route 42) and Buffalo Gap Hwy (Route 42). Marker is on the left when traveling west on Churchville Road (Route 42).
GPS Location: 38.226146,-79.163182
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom