In 1817 George Winston built the Jacob House nearby, in the development known as Sydney. Winston (1759-1826), a Quaker who built the first Richmond Friends Meeting House at 19th and Cary Streets about 1798, employed a large number of free black apprentices. An important builder here during this period, Winston participated in the construction of the Virginia State Capitol and the Virginia State Penitentiary. The Jacob House derives its name from John Jacob, an assistant superintendent at the Virginia State Penitentiary who bought the house in 1832. The building was moved to this site from 610 W. Cary Street in 1995.
Geographic Location: Richmond (City)
Physical Description of Location: Northwest corner of intersection between W Cary Street and S Pine Street, Richmond, VA 23220. Marker is on left when traveling east on W Cary Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth