Originally called Warrosquyoake County, for the Warraskoyack Indians who lived here, Isle of Wight County was one of the original eight shires (counties) recognized in Virginia by 1634. It was renamed Isle of Wight in 1637, probably for the island off the south coast of England. Led by Capt. Christopher Lawne, the English first settled here in 1619 on Lawne's Creek. A part of the county became Southampton County in 1749 while a portion of Nansemond County was added to Isle of Wight County in 1769. St. Luke's Church, a National Historic Landmark, is located here. Isle of Wight is the county seat.
Date Approved by DHR: 09/09/03
Year On Marker: 2003
Geographic Location: Isle of Wight County
Physical Description of Location: Smithfield, VA 23430. Located on Colonial Trail East (Rt. 10), 1 mile east of the junction of Colonial Trail East (Rt. 10) and Moonlight Road. Marker is on the left when traveling east on Colonial Trail East (Rt. 10).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth