A line of shallow Civil War entrenchments extended across Bedford Avenue near this spot to connect with other trenches crossing the present-day railroad tracks. These works were constructed to protect Lynchburg from attack by way of the Lexington Turnpike (now Hollins Mill Road) and were a portion of Lynchburg's inner defense lines manned by Confederate Maj. Gen. John C. Breckinridge's troops in June 1864. Lt. Gen. Jubal A. Early arrived in the city on 17 June and oversaw the hasty construction of a second line of defenses. The outer defenses paralleled the first line about a mile and half to the west and successfully withstood the Union attack during the 18 June Battle of Lynchburg.
Geographic Location: Lynchburg
Physical Description of Location: Lynchburg, VA 24504. Located on Bedford Avenue, 0.25 miles west of the junction of Bedford Avenue and Rivermont Avenue. Marker is on the left when traveling west on Bedford Avenue.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth