In 1928, parents of students at the Fulton neighborhood’s white Robert Fulton School objected to the presence of several Virginia Indian students. At that time, the only schools for Indians in Virginia were located in rural tribal communities. The Fulton School’s principal supervised an ungraded school for the Indian students in a house owned by Richmond City Schools on Nicholson Street. From eight to ten Pamunkey and Chickahominy children were educated there by three white teachers until 1930, when the school closed because the Indian families moved from the neighborhood.
Original Sponsor: Deanna Beacham and Department of Historic Resources
Geographic Location: Richmond (City)
Physical Description of Location: Proposed Location - TBD- gps associated with this marker is a guesstimate at time of approval based on marker text. Actual location will be displayed when marker is installed.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth