Using funds from the estate of British scientist Robert Boyle, the College of William & Mary established a school to educate young Indian men in 1697, just four years after the college’s founding. To encourage enrollment, in 1711 Lt. Gov. Alexander Spotswood began remitting tributes for area tribes who sent students. Students from tribes outside Virginia also enrolled. The Brafferton was constructed in 1723 to house the school, which provided education in reading and writing English, arithmetic and religion. The American Revolution caused British financial support to cease in 1776, and soon the school closed.
Year On Marker: 2005
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Geographic Location: Williamsburg
Physical Description of Location: 137-191 Jamestown Road (Virginia 5), Williamsburg, VA 23185. Marker is located on left when traveling east on Jamestown Road, just prior to junction with Richmond Road and Duke of Gloucester Street. Marker is on campus of the College of William and Mary.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth