Created under authorization of the U.S. Secretary of War, the Independent Loudoun Rangers were the only organized Union cavalry unit in Confederate Virginia. Their first captain, local miller Samuel C. Means, mustered two companies from local Quakers, the German settlement in Lovettsville and other Unionists beginning June 1862. Although the Rangers suffered that summer in a clash with Confederate Col. Elijah V. White’s Cavalry (35th VA Battalion) at Waterford Baptist Church, they continued to serve as scouts and protectors of local Unionists throughout the Civil War. In 1864, after Means refused to transfer his command to West Virginia, Capt. Daniel Keys replaced him.
Date Approved by DHR: 03/18/10
Year On Marker: 2010
Original Sponsor: Waterford Foundation Inc.
Geographic Location: Loudoun County
Physical Description of Location: 40125 Main Street, Waterford, VA 20197. Located near intersection with Liggett Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth