Warning: assert(): Assertion failed in /home4/markerh/public_html/wp-load.php on line 1
Hyde Park K-176 | Marker History

Hyde Park Marker, K-176

John Fowlkes constructed Hyde Park in the late 18th century; it was expanded in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Richmond department store-owner William B. Thalhimer Sr. purchased the property in 1938 and created a haven, training program, and model agricultural community for Jewish refugees from Nazi Germany. He rescued several dozen young students of Gross Breesen Agricultural Institute in modern-day Poland. They established dairy and truck farms, created a modern chicken farm, and cultivated tobacco. With immigration halted, the farm did not become economically viable and it closed in the spring of 1941. Later, many of the students fought against Germany in World War II.

Marker Information:
Date Approved by DHR: 06/16/2011
Date Installed-Dedicated: April 21, 2013
Year On Marker: 2011
Original Sponsor: Department of Historic Resources
Region: Southside Region
Geographic Location: Nottoway County
Physical Description of Location: 6808 W Court House Rd, Burkeville, VA 23922. Marker is located outside entry gate to Hyde Park Farm.
GPS Location: 37.110644,-78.174746
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth