The Huntersville School was built in 1930-31 as a Rosenwald School. The Julius Rosenwald fund provided $1,000 toward the construction, with contributions from African Americans and the local government provided the rest of its $7,000 cost. Rosenwald, president of Sears, Roebuck & Company, established the fund in 1917 and helped pay for the construction of more than 5,000 schools for African Americans in 15 southern states. The Huntersville School was one of the last built in Virginia, as the program ended in 1932. It included classroom space for four teachers and was named for its first principal, Joseph S. Gibson.
Date Installed-Dedicated: May 5, 2014
Year On Marker: 2013
Original Sponsor: Karyn L. Childs
Geographic Location: Suffolk
Physical Description of Location: 6112-6114 Old Townpoint Rd Suffolk, VA 23435. The marker is in front of the water tower.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth