In 1700-1701, Huguenots (French Protestant refugees) settled in this region on land provided to them by the Virginia colony. The Huguenot settlement, known as "Manakin Town" centered at the former site of a Monacan Indian town, located south of the James River. During this period the Monacans and other Indian tribes traded with the settlers. In 1700, the Virginia General Assembly established the King William Parish, which enabled the Huguenots to have their own church, pastor, and set their own parish tithes. Over time the Huguenots obtained individual land grants on both sides of the James River and throughout this region.
Date Approved by DHR: 06/18/03
Year On Marker: 2003
Geographic Location: Goochland County
Physical Description of Location: Henrico, VA 23238. Located on River Road West (Rt. 6), 2.25 miles west of the intersection of River Road West (Rt. 6) and Route 288. Marker is on the left when traveling west on River Road West (Rt. 6).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth