Huguenots, the largest single group of French Protestant refugees to come to Virginia, settled near here on the site of a deserted Monacan Indian village during the period 1700-1701. In 1700, the Virginia General Assembly established King William Parish, also known as Huguenot Parish. The Huguenots established a church at this site now known as the Manakin Episcopal Church.
Date Approved by DHR: 06/18/03
Year On Marker: 1989
Geographic Location: Powhatan County
Physical Description of Location: 903-999 Huguenot Trail (Virginia 711), Midlothian, VA 23113. Marker is on right when traveling southeast on Virginia 711, about .25 miles southeast of intersection with Manakintown Ferry Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth