In 1700-1701, Huguenots (French Protestant refugees) settled in this region on land provided to them by the Virginia colony. The Huguenot settlement, known as "Manakin Town" centered at the former site of a Monacan Indian town, located south of the James River. During this period the Monacans and other Indian tribes traded with the settlers. In 1700, the Virginia General Assembly established the King William Parish, which enabled the Huguenots to have their own church, pastor, and set their own parish tithes. Over time the Huguenots obtained individual land grants throughout this region.
Geographic Location: Chesterfield County
Physical Description of Location: Midlothian, VA 23114. Located on Midlothian Turnpike (Hwy 60), 0.25 miles west of the intersection of Midlothian Turnpike (Hwy 60) and Huguenot Road (Rt 147). Marker is on the left when traveling west on Midlothian Turnpike (Hwy 60).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth