The Hotel Roanoke was built in 1892 by the Norfolk and Western Railroad. Over the next century, despite fire and depression, it became the city's social center. The Tudor Revival building became a beloved landmark for thousands of visitors. Its original 34 rooms had grown to 384 rooms when, in 1989, the N&W donated it to Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. After a major renovation and the addition of a conference center, it reopened in 1995. The Hotel Roanoke was listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1995 and the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.
Geographic Location: Roanoke (City)
Physical Description of Location: Marker is in front of Hotel Roanoke, at the circular drive. 110 Shenandoah Avenue, Roanoke, VA 24016.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth