Royal Governor William Berkeley, owner of nearby Green Spring Plantation, purchased the land here by 1652, then known as Hot Water. After Berkeley's death, the Hot Water tract passed to the Ludwell and Lee families. William Ludwell Lee inherited the property in 1796 and died in 1803. Lee's will specified that his slaves be freed when they reached the age of 18. They were allowed to live on the property for ten years at no charge and "comfortable houses" were to be built upon the tract for them. Lee's philanthropy gave rise to one of Virginia's early free black settlements located at Centerville.
Geographic Location: James City County
Physical Description of Location: Williamsburg, VA 23188. Located on Centreville Road, 1.25 miles south of the junction of Centreville Road and State Route 614. Marker is on the right when traveling south on Centreville Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth