Here stood the residence of William Crawford who in 1752 founded the town of Portsmouth on sixty-five acres of his extensive plantation lands. The house site extended south on Crawford Street 113 feet, and east on High Street to the Elizabeth River. Crawford was presiding Justice of the Norfolk Cy. Court, Lt.-Colonel of the County Militia, a wealthy merchant and planter.
Geographic Location: Portsmouth
Physical Description of Location: Marker is located in center median of High Street, just prior to intersection with Water Street, Portsmouth, VA 23704.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth