containertop

Home of the Reverend James Craig Marker, SN-62

To the south is the site of the late 18th century home of the Reverend James Craig, minister of Cumberland Parish (1759-1795), physician, and Revolutionary patriot. During the Revolutionary War his nearby mill was burned by Colonel Banastre Tarleton, and Craig was taken prisoner and paroled. John Orgain, Jr. married Reverend Craig's granddaughter. A member of the House of Delegates (1838-1840; 1859-1863), and county judge (1850), he operated a school, the Flat Rock Female Seminary, on the property from 1834 until his death in 1871.

Marker Information:
Additional Information: Marker is no longer erected and has been superceded by a new marker with a different title and updated text. See marker SN-66 The Glebe of Cumberland Parish.
Date Approved by DHR: 06/19/08
Region: Southside Region
Geographic Location: Lunenburg County
Physical Description of Location: Intersection of K-V Road (Virginia 40) and Blalock Road (State Route 746), Victoria, VA 23974. Marker is on right when traveling west on Virginia 40.
GPS Location: 36.970658,-78.196115
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom