In 1868, Caroline Putnam (1826-1917) established a school for the children of former slaves here. In 1869, her lifelong friend, Sallie Holley (1818-1893) of N.Y., abolitionist and suffragette, purchased this two-acre site. Holley was an agent of the American Anti-Slavery Society from 1851 to 1870. In 1917 this site was deeded to a board of eleven local black trustees. The third school built here was begun in 1914 and completed in 1933 with funds raised solely within the black community. The four-room structure was the largest black elementary school in Northumberland County. Since 1917 Holley Graded School has remained under the trustees' control.
Geographic Location: Northumberland County
Physical Description of Location: Northumberland Highway (US 360), VA 22511. Marker is on right when traveling east on 360, about 600 feet past junction with Lake Road (State Route 614).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth