Originally called Tappahannock Creek by the English, Crouch's Creek flowed through a number of early English settlements. By 1625 George Sandys had holdings in Surry County, known as Treasurer's Plantation, east of the creek. Sandys was a poet, a member of the Council of State, and treasurer of the Virginia Company. Returning to England by the late 1620s, he published an English translation of Ovid's Metamorphoses. Thomas Crouch patented land on the creek in 1638 and eventually the creek took his name. By 1702, a ferry operated between Jamestown and Crouch's Creek.
Date Approved by DHR: 03/19/04
Year On Marker: 2004
Geographic Location: Surry County
Physical Description of Location: Northwest corner of intersection between Colonial Trail E (Virginia 10) and Alliance Road (State Route 634), Surry, VA 23883.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth