Warning: assert(): Assertion failed in /home4/markerh/public_html/wp-load.php on line 1
History of Worsham F-65 | Marker History

History of Worsham Marker, F-65

This site served as the county seat when Prince Edward County was founded in 1754. The original courthouse constructed soon thereafter was replaced in 1776. The last courthouse here was built in 1832. The former debtors' prison built in 1787 and the old county clerk's office erected in 1855 are the only public buildings still standing. On 7 June 1791 President George Washington stopped here on his southern tour of the country. In 1872 the county seat moved to Farmville and this community was renamed Worsham.

Marker Information:
Additional Information: Original Marker Replaced under Replacement Marker Program using Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (TEA-21) Funds. A Federal program enacted into law in 1998.
Date Approved by DHR: 03/08/06
Year On Marker: 2006
Region: Southside Region
Geographic Location: Prince Edward County
Physical Description of Location: Farmville Road (US 15), about 300 feet south of intersection with County Road 665, Hampden Sydney, VA 23901. Marker is on right when traveling north on US 15.
GPS Location: 37.2294316980,-78.4425351470
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth