Warning: assert(): Assertion failed in /home4/markerh/public_html/wp-load.php on line 1
History of Halifax R-77 | Marker History

History of Halifax Marker, R-77

The town of Halifax has been the county seat of Halifax County since 1777. It is named for George Montague, the second Earl of Halifax, an English statesman. Previously this community had been called Banister, Houston, and Halifax Court House. Portions of Gen. Nathanael Greene's troops were here in Feb. 1781. George Washington was in the region on 4 June 1791. During the spring of 1827, John Randolph of Roanoke spoke here to a large gathering of people. The present courthouse is a Classical Revival structure built in 1839, constructed by Dabney Cosby, Sr., one of Thomas Jefferson's master builders. Union Gen. George Custer camped in the region in Apr. 1865.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 2000
Region: Southside Region
Geographic Location: Halifax County
Physical Description of Location: Halifax, VA 24558. Located on South Main Street (Hwy 501), less than 1/5 of a mile south of the junction of South Main Street (Hwy 501) and Mountain Road (Rt. 360). Marker is on the right when traveling south on South Main Street (Hwy 501).
GPS Location: 36.765617,-78.928869
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth