The town was founded in 1680 under the name of Hobbs His Hole. In 1682, a port was established here and called New Plymouth. In 1808, the name was changed to Tappahannock. The British Admiral Cockburn shelled the town, December 1, 1814. An old customs house and a debtors' jail are here.
Geographic Location: Essex County
Physical Description of Location: Tappahannock, VA 22560. Located on Queen Street, 0.2 miles east of the intersection of Queen Street and Tidewater Trail (Hwy 17). Marker is on the left when traveling east on Queen Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth