The Native American village of Kecoughtan stood across the Hampton River in 1607. Soon after the English forcibly removed the inhabitants in 1610, the colonists settled there and the village grew. By the early eighteenth century, the royal customhouse, wharves, warehouses and taverns were located in the bustling seaport town of Hampton. In an early Revolutionary War engagement, militiamen repulsed a British naval attack against Hampton on 24 Oct. 1775. During the Revolution, Hampton was the home port of the Virginia State Navy. On 25 June 1813, during the Wart of 1812, the British sacked the town. Confederates burned it in Aug. 1861 to prevent its use by Union troops and slaves.
Geographic Location: Hampton
Physical Description of Location: Hampton, VA 23669. Located on Lincoln Street, 0.25 miles east of the intersection of Lincoln Street and North Amistead Avenue (Rt. 134). Marker is on the left when traveling east on Lincoln Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth