Tarleton's British cavalry, raiding west, stopped here in July, 1781. When railroads were built, the place was known as Burke's Junction. The Union cavalryman Kautz destroyed the railways here in June, 1864. Jefferson Davis passed through Burkeville, going south, April 3, 1865. Grant's headquarters were here, April 6, 1865.
Geographic Location: Nottoway County
Physical Description of Location: Marker location is an estimate at the time marker was approved by DHR. Actual location will be updated when marker is cast and erected.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth