The first known permanent English Roman Catholic settlers in Virginia, Giles Brent, his sister Margaret, and other family members, emigrated here from Maryland by 1650. In May 1861, Confederates built artillery batteries on the bluffs overlooking Aquia Landing at the creek's mouth on the Potomac River. An early clash between U.S. Naval vessels and Confederate land batteries took place here, 30 May and 1 June 1861. After the Confederates withdrew in March 1862, the U.S. Army established a huge supply depot there. The Federals burned and abandoned it on 7 June 1863. The landing again served as a Union depot in 1864.
Date Approved by DHR: 06/18/03
Year On Marker: 2003
Geographic Location: Stafford County
Physical Description of Location: 3110 Jefferson Davis Highway (US 1), about 300 feet north of intersection with Aquia Drive, Stafford, VA 22554. Marker is on right, just past William of York Catholic Church, when traveling north on US 1. There is no safe place to pull over and read the marker through your car window.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth