Alexandria was named for the family of John Alexander, a Virginia planter who in 1669 acquired the tract on which the town began. By 1732, the site was known as Hunting Creek Warehouse and in 1749 became Alexandria, thereafter a major 18th-century port. George Washington frequented the town; Robert E. Lee claimed it as his boyhood home. From 1801 to 1847 Alexandria was a part of the District of Columbia, and was later occupied by Federal troops during the Civil War. By the 20th century it had become a major railroad center. In 1946, Alexandria created the third historic district in the United States to protect its 18th-and-19th century buildings.
Geographic Location: Alexandria
Physical Description of Location: 221 King Street Alexandria, VA 22314. Located on King Street, less than 1/5 of a mile east of the intersection of King Street and North Washington Street. Marker is on the left when traveling east on King Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth