One mile north stood the Southside Railroad Bridge, spanning the 75-foot-wide Appomattox River. On 6 April, 1865, nine hundred Union soldiers attempting to burn the 2500-foot-long, 126-foot-high structure were captured by Confederate cavalry. Crossing on 7 April, retreating Confederates burned four spans but failed to destroy the lower wagon bridge thus allowing Union soldiers to cross and attack at Cumberland Church north of Farmville.
Geographic Location: Prince Edward County
Physical Description of Location: US 460, about 2 miles west of junction with Virginia 307, Farmville, VA 23901. Marker is on right when traveling west in US 460.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth