Sir Thomas Dale established the original Henrico Parish Church at Henricus, 4 1/2 miles southeast of here, in 1611. The first minister, the Reverend Alexander Whitaker, has been credited with converting Pocahontas to Christianity. Other noteworthy ministers included James Blair and William Stith. The parish church was later relocated to Varina, then to Curles, and finally to Saint John's Church in Richmond in 1741. Here, in 1926, the Varina Episcopal Church was constructed and the newly formed Varina Parish was established in this community.
Geographic Location: Henrico County
Physical Description of Location: Henrico, VA 23231. Located on New Market Road (Rt. 5), 0.5 miles west of the junction of New Market Road (Rt. 5) and Strath Road. Marker is on the left when traveling west on New Market Road (Rt. 5).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth