Nearby stands Hebron Lutheran Church. This cruciform church was built in 1740 and is America's oldest church in continuous use by Lutherans. The congregation was formed by 1725 by German families, some of whom arrived to Virginia in 1717 to work at Germanna, Lieutenant Governor Alexander Spotswood's frontier mining community. The church was enlarged about 1800 and a pipe organ crafted by David Tannenburg of Lititz, Pennsylvania, was installed. The interior of the church has elaborate frescoed ceilings painted by the Italian-born artist Joseph Oddenino. It was listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
Geographic Location: Madison County
Physical Description of Location: Madison, VA 22727. Located on North Blue Ridge Turnpike (Rt. 231), 1.6 miles north of the junction of North Blue Ridge Turnpike (Rt. 231) and North Main Street (Hwy 29). Marker is on the right when traveling north on North Blue Ridge Turnpike (Rt. 231).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth