Richmond’s Hebrew Cemetery was established in the early 19th century by Congregation Beth Shalome, which was formed by 1789 and merged with Congregation Beth Ahabah in 1898. The cemetery was listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register and National Register of Historic Places in 2006. It is the oldest active Jewish cemetery in the South. Many leading Richmond merchants, civic leaders, and rabbis are interred here. Hebrew Cemetery displays traditional Jewish burial ground characteristics in its overall simplicity of plan and marker decoration, yet also contains more decorative elements. A rare military burial ground section contains the graves of thirty Jewish Confederate soldiers.
Year On Marker: 2009
Original Sponsor: Department of Historic Resources
Geographic Location: Richmond (City)
Physical Description of Location: 208 Hospital Street, Richmond, VA 23219. Marker is on right, behind fence (inside cemetery) when traveling northwest on Hospital Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth