Five miles southwest of here is the Hatton Ferry on the James River which began operating in the 1870s. James A. Brown established the ferry and a store on land first rented and then purchased from S. P. Gantt in 1881. In 1883 when a post office was approved for the store, it was named Hatton for the young federal postal officer who signed the authorizing documents. The ferry is one of only two poled ferries still functioning in the continental United States.
Geographic Location: Albemarle County
Physical Description of Location: Scottsville, VA 24590. Directly in front of the Scottsville Shopping center, at the intersection of Co Road 726 and Irish Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth