James A. Brown began operating a store and ferry at this site on rented property in the late 1870s. In 1881 he bought the land from S. P. Gantt at which time the store became a stop on the Richmond and Alleghany Railroad. Two years later, Brown was authorized to open a post office in his store, which was named Hatton for the young federal postal officer who signed the authorizing documents. The ferry is one of only two poled ferries still functioning in the continental United States.
Geographic Location: Albemarle County
Physical Description of Location: 10089 Hatton Ferry Rd Scottsville, VA 24590. Located on the left on Hatton Ferry Road, a mile past the intersection with Hatton Ferry Lane.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth