Organized in June 1825 by the Winchester Presbytery as Yellow Chapel Church, the brick church was constructed between 1857 and 1859. It became Hartwood Presbyterian Church in 1868. During the Civil War an engagement took place here on 25 Feb. 1863. Confederate Brig. Gen. Fitzhugh Lee, commanding detachments of the 1st, 2d, and 3d Virginia Cavalry Regiments, defeated a Union force and captured 150 men. The interior wooden elements and furnishings of the church suffered considerable damage during the war, but were replaced. The building was listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places in 1989 and it is an American Presbyterian Reformed Historical Site.
Geographic Location: Stafford County
Physical Description of Location: 50 Hartwood Church Road (County Road 705), Fredericksburg, VA 22406. Marker is in front of Hartwood Presbyterian Church. Turn onto Hartwood Road (County Road 612) from Warrenton Road (US 17), take first left, marker on right.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth