Hanover Baptist Church, the oldest Baptist church in King George County, was organized in 1789 with a 93-member congregation. The first meetinghouse was located at Shiloh, and Elder John Shackleford served as the first pastor. The first Sunday school was established in 1833. The second meetinghouse was located at Allnutt. In the early 1840s, during the Second Great Awakening, 1,025 new members were baptized. The third house of worship was built here after James F. Jones deeded the land to Hanover Baptist Church trustees William B. Coakley, William E. McClanahan, and John A. Peed in 1873. Department of Historic Resources, 1998
Geographic Location: King George County
Physical Description of Location: King George, VA 22485. Located on James Madison Pkwy (Hwy 301), 0.4 miles northeast of the junction of James Madison Pkwy (Hwy 301) and Ridge Road (Rt. 205). Marker is on the right when traveling northeast on James Madison Pkwy (Hwy 301).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth