Hampden-Sydney College, in continuous operation since 10 Nov. 1775, was established "to form good men and good Citizens." It was named for John Hampden (1594-1643) and Algernon Sydney (1622-1683), champions of parliamentary rule in England. Patrick Henry and James Madison were early trustees, and President William Henry Harrison was a member of the class of 1791. Student companies were formed in the Revolutionary War and the Civil War. It is affiliated with the Presbyterian Church. The campus includes a distinguished collection of 19th-century buildings that were listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1969 and the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
Geographic Location: Prince Edward County
Physical Description of Location: College Road, just past intersection with Atkinson Avenue, Farmville, VA 23901. Marker is on right when traveling south on College Road, on the campus of Hampden-Sydney College.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth