Halifax Church is the oldest Presbyterian church in Halifax County. The Congregation was formed in June, 1830, from Cub Creek Church in Charlotte County. The organizational group included the Reverend Clement Read of Cub Creek and twenty-six local communicants including sixteen black members, mostly slaves. Visiting ministers preached occasionally at the church until June, 1831, when the Reverend Thomas A. Ogden began four years of service as the congregation's first pastor. The building was restored in 1983 and placed on the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1987.
Geographic Location: Halifax County
Physical Description of Location: Clover, VA 24534. Located on Cole Ferry Road, less than 1/5 of a mile north of the intersection of Cole Ferry Road and State Route 623. Marker is on the right when traveling north on Cole Ferry Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth