Gunston Hall, four miles to the east, is one of the most noted colonial places in Virginia. The land was patented in 1651 by Richard Turney, who was hanged for taking part in Bacon's Rebellion in 1676. In 1696 the second George Mason acquired it. The house was built in 1755-1758 by the fourth George Mason, Revolutionary leader and author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights and the first Constitution of Virginia.
Geographic Location: Fairfax County
Physical Description of Location: Northeast corner of intersection of Gunston Road (Route 235) and Old Colchester Road (Route 611), Lorton, VA 22079. Marker is on left when traveling south on Gunston Road, near Cranford United Methodist Church.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth