Gum Springs Marker, E-94

Gum Springs, an African-American community, originated here on a 214-acre farm bought in 1833 by West Ford (ca. 1785-1863), a freed man, skilled carpenter, and manager of the Mount Vernon estate. The freedman's school begun here in 1867 at Bethlehem Baptist Church encouraged black settlement. In 1890 the Rev. Samuel K. Taylor, William Belfield, Lovelace Brown, Hamilton Gray, Robert D. King, Henry Randall, and Nathan Webb formed the Joint Stock Company of Gum Springs and sold lots. Gum Springs has remained a vigorous black community.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1991
Region: Northern Virginia Region
Geographic Location: Fairfax County
Physical Description of Location: Alexandria, VA 22306. Located on Richmond Hwy (Hwy 1), 0.75 miles north of the intersection of Richmond Hwy (Hwy 1) and State Route 628. Marker is on the right when traveling north on Richmond Hwy (Hwy 1).
GPS Location: 38.748456,-77.082744
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth