The 17th century road to Green Spring, home of Governor Sir William Berkeley, was the eastern part of the Great Road, the earliest-developed English thoroughfare in Virginia. The Great Road ran from Jamestown Island toward the falls of the James River. The road was an important thoroughfare used to transport goods and forward communitcations between settlements. Originally, the Green Spring Road followed close to the James River, linking Jamestown to Green Spring. On 6 July 1781, the Revolutionary War Battle of Green Spring was fought in the fields flanking this road. By this time, the lower portion of the road(a part of present day Rte. 614) had shifted eastward.
Geographic Location: James City County
Physical Description of Location: 2590 Greensprings Rd Williamsburg, VA 23185. Located on Greensprings Road, 0.5 miles north of the junction of Greensprings Road and Jamestown Road (Rt. 31). Marker is on the right when traveling north on Greensprings Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth