Green Cove Station was a rail stop along the "Virginia Creeper" Railroad that ran from Abingdon, Virginia, to Todd, North Carolina. Built by the Virginia Carolina Railroad about 1914, it also served as a post office, general store, and telegraph office, managed primarily by William M. Buchanan. Famed photographer O. Winston Link memorialized this building in his 1956 photo "Maud Bows to the Virginia Creeper." The last train passed here in 1977, but the station remained as a general store for a few more years. In the early 1990s the former station was restored as a U.S. Forest Service visitor and education center for the Virginia Creeper National Recreational Trail.
Geographic Location: Washington County
Physical Description of Location: Green Cove Road (County Road 600), about .3 miles southwest of intersection with JEB Stuart Highway (US 58), at Green Cove Station, Damascus, VA 24236.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth