Quakers began settling the region by the end of the 17th century. Named for nearby Gravelly Run stream, the meetinghouse was built by 1767. It became the religious center for the Quakers in Dinwiddie and surrounding counties. In the early 1800s the yearly meeting for the Upper Monthly Meeting was frequently held at Gravelly Run. Membership began to decline then because the Quakers refused to bear arms and opposed slavery. As a result, several members moved to Ohio, Tennessee, and Indiana, and the meetinghouse was abandoned in the 1830s.
Geographic Location: Dinwiddie County
Physical Description of Location: Dinwiddie, VA 23841. Located on Boydton Plank Road (Hwy 1), 1 mile south of the intersection of Boydton Plank Road (Hwy 1) and White Oaks Road. Marker is on the right when traveling south on Boydton Plank Road (Hwy 1).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth