The Fredericksburg Road, present-day Route 208, was the Army of the Potomac's supply line during the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House. For two weeks in May 1864, wagons shuttled back and forth along the road between the Union army and its supply base at Belle Plains on the Potomac River. Thousands of Confederate prisoners and wounded Union soldiers made their way to the rear along this road. As the Union army continued south toward Richmond, it shifted its supply base from Belle Plains to POrt Royal, and abandoned the Fredericksburg Road about 21 May.
Geographic Location: Spotsylvania County
Physical Description of Location: 10500-10524 Courthouse Road (Virginia 208), about 200 east of intersection with Leavells Road (County Road 639), Fredericksburg, VA 22407. There is no safe or convenient place to pull over and read the marker.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth